Hi everyone! This week I made corned beef and cabbage. I know, I know, I should have made this for Saint Patrick’s Day but I didn’t. Never mind that the dish is rarely eaten in Ireland. I have had a craving for corned beef since March and I finally got around to making it.
My mom used to bake corned beef in the oven and it always came out delicious. I remember one of my first cooking lessons was my mom teaching me how to properly cut corned beef. Such an important tip – I cut it the wrong way once and it was tough. You’ve gotta cut against the grain.
The traditional way to cook corned beef is to boil it, both the beef and the cabbage. I like it best in the oven – hand’s down. But, I don’t have time for that anymore. I always put it in a crockpot. I used a pressure cooker once and it was good, but not amazing. On a side note, the pressure cooker disintegrated my cabbage. The experience traumatized me and now I cook my cabbage in a pan.
Try this recipe and let me know what you think.
Corned Beef and Cabbage Ingredients:
1-2 lbs Corned Beef
1 peppercorn spice packet (comes with corned beef)
4 medium Red Potatoes
1 12 Ounce Bottle of Dark Beer
1 cup of beef Broth
2 tbs cinnamon
1 tbs dry mustard
1 tbs allspice
1 tbs nutmeg,
1 tbs pepper
1 tbs clove
3 garlic cloves
1 tsp melted butter
1 head Cabbage, chopped
Corned Beef Cabbage Directions:
1. Quarter the potatoes. No need to peel
2. Slice the onion thinly.
3. In a large slow cooker, place the potatoes and onions on the bottom of the slow cooker
4. Add the corned beef on top of the potatoes and onions.
5. Sprinkle the peppercorns on top of the corned beef. Sprinkle other spices ( half of cinnamon) on top of the corned beef. No salt is necessary as corned beef can be naturally salty.
6. Pour the beer and broth over the ingredients.
7. Set on low and cook for 6-8 hours.
8. Quarter cabbage and then slice thinly. In a separate pan, add butter and garlic and cook until fragrant. Add sliced cabbage.
9. Add 1tsp of cinnamon, 1/2 cup of juice from corn beef, and salt and pepper. Stir and let cabbage simmer, covered, for 15-20 minutes or until desired tenderness is reached.
10. Slice the Corned Beef against the grain and serve with cabbage, potatoes and onions.
11. Enjoy this corned beef and cabbage recipe.