Hi everyone! Sorry for the late post but I was reading some of my favorite blogs today and I noticed several people paid homage to National Waffle Day. There is a day for everything! Since I love waffles so much, I decided to partake in this special day.
I had some mint left over from my Mint Aioli recipe I posted last week so I decided to make mint chocolate chip waffles.
The only thing I had to work out was how to mix real mint into waffle batter. I decided to mix the mint, vanilla extract and milk in my ninja. The ninja did the trick, cutting the mint into tiny indistinguishable pieces.
I thought it came out great. It had a real mint flavor that was perfect for dinner time. It was actually a beautiful green color until I mixed in the chocolate chips. Check out my recipe below and have a happy waffle day!
• 2 cups flour
• 1/4 cup honey
• 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp baking powder
• 1 tbsp cocoa powder
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 1 3/4 cups milk
• 1/3 cup butter melted
• 2 large eggs
• 2 tsp vanilla extract
• 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
• 1/4 cup of mint
• 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Whisk the flour, baking powder, cocoa and salt in a large bowl.
2. Take the mint, 3/4 cup of milk and vanilla extract and place it in a blender. Blend until you can no longer see the mint. Set aside.
3. In another bowl, whisk the remaining milk, melted butter, eggs, vanilla, honey, mint mixture, chocolate chips and vinegar.
4. Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour the wet ingredients in. Wisk until barely smooth.
5. Heat your waffle iron according to the manufacturers instructions. Spray the waffle iron with cooking spray and then pour batter into the center of the waffle iron. Let it cook until crispy.